- If I join the PTA, am I on the board? No. As a member to the PTA, you are not required to attend meetings or volunteer on the board. You don't have to do anything other than buy a membership. (But we'd appreciate any ideas you have or talents you can share!)
- What does it take to be a PTA board member? While there are certain things we have to do each year to maintain our status as a 501(c) non-profit and a PTA, what our PTA does and when we do it is up to the board each year. Do a lot. Do a little. Do something new. Run with something tried and true. Whatever you do is enough and is appreciated! Come ask us how you can help!
You must be a PTA member in good standing for at least 30 days to serve on the board. That's it!
There are monthly board meetings - the time and location is decided on each year by the board so that most board members can attend - and 5 association meetings a year. The Board-elect takes office on July 1 each year. Between the March election and July 1, incoming board members have the opportunity to work with the current board to learn what's in store.
- What if I'm new to the PTA? Am I on my own? No way! Every parent who steps up is learning as we go. We’re doing it together and we’ve got SO much support from the PTA council and district and other schools! There is training by the district for anyone who needs it. We ask questions, work together to find answers, and do the best that we can for our children and our school!
- Are there term limits for board members? Yes! A person can only hold the same position for a maximum of two years in a row, whether the position is an executive position or a committee chair.
- What if I don’t speak English well? Perfect! It means you can help us reach families from different cultures! There are over 20 languages spoken at home by Andasol students. Help us help other parents like you! That’s why the PTA is here! Tell us what you need.